Subscribe to this site
ONTONAGON VILLAGE COUNCIL MEETING
HELD AT 6:00 PM ON MONDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2012
AT 315 QUARTZ STREET, ONTONAGON
PRESENT: President Johnson; Trustees: Kattelus, Hamm, Marks, Smydra, T. Banse , and Manager Erickso
ABSENT: J. Cane
CALL TO ORDER:
AT 6:00 pm the meeting was called to order and the Pledge of Allegiance was led by President Johnson.
A motion was made by Marks, second by Hamm, (CARRIED) to approve the agenda.
ITEMS FROM THE FLOOR: None
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
A motion was made by Marks, second by Kattelus, (CARRIED) to approve the Village Council Minutes of Nov. 26, 2012.
A motion was made by Smydra, second by Hamm, (CARRIED) to approve the Recreation Committee Minutes of Dec. 4, 2012.
APPROVE THE CURRENT BILLS:
A motion was made by Kattelus, second by Marks, (CARRIED) to approve payment of the Current Bills for Dec. in the amount of $ 397,420.52.
AYES: President Johnson, Trustees: Kattelus, Marks, Hamm, Smydra, Banse
ABSENT: J. Cane
CD Renewal: The finance committee reviewed 2 CD’s that are up for renewal. They have authorized the clerk to cash the CD from the Citizens Bank of Flint and purchase 2 CD’s at The Miners State Bank. The other CD at The Miners State Bank will rollover.
- Lansing – The legislature is working on repeal of the personal property tax. The league is lobbying hard for full replacement. The State Senate has passed a new emergency manager bill, to replace the law repealed by referendum at the last election. The Senate also passed revisions to the MISS Dig law that increase fines for municipalities for not complying and limits liability for damages to underground facilities that are mismarked or unmarked. The MML opposes the changes. The Senate also passed changes to the Village Election Law, change all council elections to November. This change won’t affect us.
- DNR Grant – I talked to the appraiser this morning. We will have the appraisal this week (Wednesday). I want to get it the MDNR by Friday, the latest.
- SpecBuilding – Triple B Underground contacted me about space in the spec building to park their drill truck because the water lines were freezing up. With concurrence from Bill, I rented them the space in front of the old fire trucks for $50 per week. They need the space for 4 -6 weeks while installing the fiber for the Merit Network.
- MERS – Talked to Tony, our MERS rep. and we should have a report from them by the 20th. We are officially the second municipality to ask for assistance in bonding for pension liability, SaginawCounty is the first. I will get copies of the report to John C. and Tony S. a.s.a.p.
- Fire Department – Worked with the Fire Chief to revise the Fire Fighter application and create a job description that concurs with the By-laws and State requirements for Fire Fighter I certification.
- FY13-14 Budget – I’ve started working on next year’s budget. You can expect to see some changes in the format of the General Fund. Two reasons for this, 1) to comply with the Uniform Chart of Accounts and 2) to provide better details (transparency). The Building & Grounds, Parks & Rec and Community Planning accounts are a catch all for many activities and facilities that it’s difficult to track what things really cost. A RecBuilding account is one example that will make tracking costs easier. The new budget will be more detailed and a better tool for managing the budget.
- Other Updates – The crew repaired a couple water curb stops, sewer connections and put up the Christmas decorations. The Blight Grant was sent. I will have an RFP for audit services ready in January. Attached is a list of Village Accomplishments for 2012.
- Meetings Attended – 12/4 Rec. Commission and 12/5 Ont. Co. Partnership
A motion was made by Marks, second by Hamm, (CARRIED) to accept and place on file the Manager’s Report.
Councilman T. Banse discussed the Managers Contract
A motion was made by Marks, second by Smydra, (CARRIED) to accept the Manager’s employee contract.
AYES: President Johnson, Trustees: Marks, Smydra, Kattelus, Hamm, Banse
ABSENT: J. Cane
BS& A SOFTWARE UPDATES
The Village BS&A software is becoming obsolete and the Manager went over the cost of an upgrade and where the funds will be distributed.
A motion was made by Marks, second by Kattelus, (CARRIED) to purchase the upgrades of the BS& software for $13,064.00.
AYES: President Johnson, Trustees: Marks, Kattelus, Hamm, Smydra, Banse
ABSENT: J. Cane
No more Village Council Meetings this month due to the Christmas Holiday.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Years
At 6:27 pm a motion was made by Marks, second by Hamm, (CARRIED) to adjourn the meeting.
Marcia Aho-Black – Village Clerk Date approved