Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Welcome to the Village of Ontonagon’s “frequently asked questions” page. This page serves as a collection of all FAQ for our Village.

Administration & Finance

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm

Village Office is CLOSED each Wednesday

2nd & 4th Monday @ 6:00 p.m.

Village Council Chambers – 315 Quartz Street

Around the 10th day of the month

From the 20th to the 20th of each month

Yes, an application needs to be completed and auto pay will begin after the completed application is received. Auto pay payments are done on the 15th of each month.

No, simply complete the auto pay application and funds can be withdrawn from your existing checking or savings account.

Yes – see Home Page on Web Site


Property taxes are mailed the beginning of July each year. Property taxes are due by September 14th. After September 14th the Village tax roll is turned over to the County Treasurer for collection.

COMING SOON, in office credit card machine. Link for online payment coming soon.

Building Codes

Always check with the Village before completing any work

Yes, a fence permit is available online or in the Village Office.

Yes, always check with the Village Office before completing work.


Applications are available at the village office or you can go the State of Michigan website bureau of construction codes; you may also contact the State Building Inspector -

Daniel Grochowski

Cell: (906) 235-2592

Office: (517) 241-9317


Located on the east side of the Ontonagon River


May 15 – October 15





Rates are set by the Marina Commission to comply with DNR and State Waterways Commission fee criteria. See Marina tab under "Parks" for pricing.

Fire Department

The Fire Chief (906) 884-2131. Leave a message and they will return your call.


Contact the Fire Hall at (906) 884-2131 and leave a message. They will return your call.

Contact our department (906) 884-2131 and provide the incident date and address.

Refer to the Village Burning Ordinance

Yes, with permission from the fire department, contact the department for fees. Fines will be assessed without obtaining permission.

Public Works

Yes, refer to ordinances

No, this prohibited by Village ordinance. Residents may be held liable for any accidents caused by shoveling snow into the roadway.

If the Village was responsible for mailbox damage, call the Village Office 884-2305 to submit a service request.

Call the Village Office to submit a request (906) 884-2305.

Call the Village Office (906) 884-2305 to notify them of the problem.

Call the Village Office (906) 884-2305 to make a service request.

Call the Village Office (906) 884-2305 for a billing change.

Call the Village Office to schedule a work order (906) 884-2305.

Sediment in the water pipes can be knocked loose during either a water main repair or hydrant flushing, causing the water to turn a shade of brown. To alleviate this problem you should run any faucet in your house that does not have a filtration screen until the water is clear. If the problem doesn't clear, please notify the Village Office (906) 884-2305.

YES, always call Miss Dig before you dig: 1-800-482-7171

These flags represent the utilities located under ground Orange = Phone; Red=Electric; Green=Sewer; Yellow=Gas; Blue=Water